Reporting to: Finance Manager
The Communications Coordinator is a full-time position responsible to provide the development and implementation of all Quinte Waste Solutions’ internal and external communications initiatives to its stakeholders and target audiences
- Media Relations: Proactively seek media coverage for newsworthy initiatives. Develop press releases, fact sheets and backgrounders. Plan media launches, designate an appropriate spokesperson and coordinate interviews for print and radio during campaigns.
- Event Planning: Plan, promote and implement low-cost events that showcase Quinte Waste Solutions’ successes and achievements.
- Community Engagement: Continue to attend community events such as trade shows, fairs, etc. to engage with the public regarding QWS activities. Continue to sit on the Trash Bash committee to further enhance QWS’s support, and services.
- Website: Manage the QWS website and its content. Monitor the effectiveness of the site using Google Analytics and make changes as required.
- Graphic Design: Design and update QWS promotional materials, newspaper advertising, etc. as required using Adobe Creative Suite software and outsource the print requirements.
- Media Buying: Work with department heads to determine media requirements for annual campaigns. Using a campaign strategy, determine the budget, plan the frequency and placements and make the media buy.
- Social Media: Research and develop content for the Quinte Waste Solutions Blog. Provide status updates on Twitter and other social sites and drive traffic to the QWS website and blog.
- Blog: Research and develop meaningful content that our audiences want to know and share. Provide content to the blog on a frequent basis.
- Presentations: Develop presentations, using PowerPoint when necessary. Deliver presentations to area schools, council and community groups as required.
- Tours: Provide tours of the Material Recovery Facility to those interested. Refer to the Standard Operating Procedures regarding the QWS Tour Policy.
- Special Projects: Provide support or lead special projects that enhance waste diversion such as the curbside battery collection program.
- Communications Planning: Create, implement and evaluate communications strategies and plans that align with the organization’s strategic plan. Create goals and set measurable objectives.
- Departmental Support: Provide communications support via strategic planning, production and implementation to promote all QWS initiatives. Blue Box, Hazardous & Electronic Waste, Commercial Recycling, Recycle-Away/Events.
- Customer Service: Provide support to frontline staff. Mediate and find resolutions for customer complaints.
- Complaint Database: Monitor the complaint database and implement campaign strategies to address reoccurring issues reported by the front-line staff (drivers).
- Networking: Attend networking events to keep Quinte Waste Solutions top of mind with our stakeholders.
Skills and Experience Required:
- Post-secondary education in a discipline relevant to communications, marketing, journalism, public relations and 3 years of progressive and pertinent work experience.
- Excellent communications skills, especially written; a portfolio of prior work required.
- Demonstrated experience with event organization.
- Ability to communicate messages in a professional and highly engaging manner designed to generate support in a target audience.
- Exceptional organizational abilities and time management skills; ability to meet deadlines, multi-task and prioritize.
- Experience in developing, implementing and evaluating communication plans and materials.
- Strong (Apple) computer skills and excellent knowledge of MS Office programs and desktop publishing programs, along with strong graphic design skills using Adobe Creative Suite, Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop.
- Good knowledge of website management (content, updates, linkage etc.)
- Social Media experience coupled with an understanding of Search Engine Optimization
- Bilingual (French/English) written and verbal skills desirable, as a minimum well developed English language skills
- A commitment to working cooperatively in a team environment with staff, a board of directors, volunteers and public
- Possession of a valid Ontario Driver’s Licence
- Primarily office environment with some outdoor activities
- Must be available for occasional travel and to work outside of regular office hours, including evenings and weekends, as required.
- Wear safety and other apparel as required.
How to apply:
Send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Communications Coordinator” in the subject line. This position will remain open until filled.
Wage: $55,126 to start with benefits after a 3 month probation period.