The Waste Outreach Technician (WOT) will work under the supervision of senior staff to conduct community outreach to increase resident involvement and awareness of the Blue Box and Hazardous & Electronic Waste programs throughout the nine member-municipalities within the Quinte region. The WOT will work alongside other staff to collect and interpret service data, conduct face-to-face interaction with residents, as well as update existing programs managed by Quinte Waste Solutions.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Conduct face-to-face communication and outreach with residents during Mobile Hazardous Waste events throughout the Quinte region.
- Analyze and input data and information acquired during events.
- Occasional assistance at Hazardous & Electronic Waste (HEW) collection events and reuse events at the HEW Depot in Belleville.
- Use social media and other communication platforms to promote and improve the Blue Box and Hazardous & Electronic Waste programs.
- Participate in community events and speak with others professionally to assist in educating residents in the Quinte region on the Blue Box and Hazardous & Electronic Waste programs.
- Produce reports regarding successes of campaigns, improvements for future initiatives, and troubleshooting with campaign ideas to increase overall understanding of programs.
- Assist senior staff with other related projects throughout the contract duration as assigned.
- A student working towards (or recently obtained) a Degree or Diploma in a relevant field of study in combination with relevant work experience. Preference will be given to students enrolled in programs of Waste Management, Environmental Sciences, Communications, or Public Relations.
- Enthusiasm for environmental improvement. Preference will be given to those who have previous experience with environmental improvement initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with the public in an enthusiastic, professional, and friendly manner
- Demonstrated ability to work alongside other staff on a daily basis.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent time management and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work on several active projects at the same time under tight deadlines.
- Proficient computer skills with a focus on Microsoft software such as Word, Excel and Access.
- Ability to use GPS software with the ability to plan driving routes is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of social media platforms and media analytics is considered an asset.
- Ability to work in a variety of settings (office, outdoors, public settings, and professional meetings).
- Ability to work flexible hours (weekend and irregular work hours)
- CSA approved safety boots.
- Willing to wear supplied personal protective equipment as required and participate in safety training.
- Occasional heavy lifting.
- Access to a reliable vehicle
- Valid G class Driver’s License with a clean abstract required.
Extent of Position:
- This is a summer contract position which will report to and assist all Quinte Waste Solutions departments as required: Communication, Blue Box, Hazardous & Electronic Waste
- Anticipated start date: Monday, May 2, 2022*
- Anticipated end date: Friday, September 2, 2022*
- *Start date and end date are potentially flexible.
- Compensation will be market equivalent; moving expenses will not be reimbursed.
- References and samples of work will be required if selected for an interview.
How to Apply:
Apply by email (Subject: Waste Outreach Technician) with cover letter and resume (attached as .pdf or .doc) to: [email protected]
Deadline: Applications must be received by May 27, 2022 at 4pm
Start Date: As Soon As Possible.
Quinte Waste Solutions thanks everyone for their application. Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.