Become a more efficient recycler.
The fastest and easiest way to sort your recycling is to have two or more blue boxes. Designate one box for your “mixed paper” and the other for your “mixed containers”. Corrugated cardboard is always bundled.
Looking to get more into your blue box? Try these simple things:
- Step on pop cans
- Deflate pop and water bottles and replace the lid
- Stand your paper products up on edge
- Buy in bulk
- Place your heavier materials on top of your blue boxes when wind is likely to be an issue.
- Put all your glass bottles and jars on top of your paper/fibres box, then put that box on top of your containers box.
- If you are concerned about high winds blowing your recycling out of your blue box, don’t put it out. Wait until your next collection if possible.
- Crush your cans and bottles down in your containers blue box, and your boxboard down in your paper/fibres box. This saves A LOT of space, and will reduce the possibility of material blowing out of your blue box on windy days. Stacking your papers upright in your papers blue box, also helps to stop wind-blown litter.
- Make sure your blue box is to your curb by 7AM on your collection day. Putting your recycling out the night before is fine, but if a large wind event is expected throughout the night, make sure you wait until the morning.
Wintertime (Snow banks)
Place your blue box at the right side of your driveway (as you face the road). This will ensure that your recycling is noticed as the collection vehicle approaches your house.
Place your blue box on your driveway and not on top of the snow bank. Its a tough job collecting recycling, even tougher when you’re soaking wet and cold.